Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Pat White: Norma Ross a closet DQ

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:11 PM
From: Pat White
To: Chris

You are too much!

Norma Ross a closet DQ
I met Norma Ross at 11:00 to peek at a quilt Rose commercially quilted for her (but I didn't get to see it before it was returned).

Norma is a closet quilter. She sews on her own and is happy that way. She was very gracious in sharing her quilt with me though.

She made a scrappy quilt and it took 3 years to finish the top. I loved it. So in talking with her (and being interrupted by several customers...!) she disclosed that she just puts her finished quilts in her closet like it was no big deal.

Remember Norma? She is in her 70s and still working at the Coop, carrying 50# bags of fertilizer. She's cut back to only 3 days a week though.

While visiting Andy Growden stopped in. He, of course, acts interested. At least he comes across genuinely. He did say he was curious how much quilters spend on their habit.

That might be a chore. You'd have to start with our stash inventory and have a very good equation for depreciation. Adding up a year's worth would not be difficult if all the receipts were kept.

Florida has DQ's too
Maribeth Miller [One of Calico Cow's owners] was telling me how a lady from Florida bought fabric one day and waited and waited for her husband to return.

He was across the street at Granite View Sports. - Calico Cow is now in the old Colombo building, the rock structure that Roy
Gilbertson finished and is now a "mall" that houses the new Mt. McKinley Bank, Calico Cow, an elevator and many empty offices.

Anyway the lady finally decides on a whole new line of prints and buys quite a bit more while she's waiting for her husband to pick her up.

When Maribeth hands her receipt she says, "Eat the receipt. My husband thinks I've only got $100 worth of fabric in my whole stash."

Now THAT is quite the husband! You can't tell me he is clueless. Someone must pay the credit card and balance their budget.

Guys don't really understand DQ's
When I was in Hawaii for my niece's wedding we shopped a bit and twice I overheard husbands say, "Honey, do you have enough money?" or "Do you need the credit card?"

You could've picked my jaw up off the floor! And those ladies were buying breakable dishes.. in Hawaii… that required shipping and bigger bucks.

I can come up with a pretty good figure on what I spend on fabric.... and dishes ($0.00).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home