Monday, April 23, 2007

What I Like about Santiam Scrappers Quilt Guild

By Peggy Christopherson

In 2002 a few quilters here in Lebanon helped me convince about twenty other quilters of the benefits in forming a quilting guild. Thus, the Santiam Scrappers Quilting Guild was created.

I really like doing quilting things with other quilters. When I moved here I didn’t know even one person. So I stopped by the local quilt shop! I knew I would be able to meet other quilters who would eventually become good friends. And that’s exactly what happened!

Some of the Santiam Scrappers activities I really enjoy are...
...Meeting and talking with other local quilters daily, weekly, and monthly,
...Seeing all the skill and pride that comes in our “Show and Tells,”
...Showing our guild quilts at shows, fairs, retirement homes, and Safeway,
...Going on retreats, to shows, and on trips with quilter friends (Yes that includes fabric shopping trips and Quilter’s Safari),
...Doing community service quilts and giving them to people in need of the comfort and physical warmth of a quilt,
...Educating young and old about the history, fun, and heritage of quilting, plus learning about textiles, colors, patterns, and so much more.

I have pushed the guild to participate in doing quilt shows. I am so impressed with the talent of our members, young and old, (we aren’t old, just older!) beginners and experienced, that I want others to see what we are doing.

I think it is so important to do these shows to educate people. We have to teach people why a quilt isn’t just another blanket!

We are also the driving force in creating new quilters. So now I’m pushing us to add quilts to other events such as The Strawberry Festival Flower Show, the Bed Turning at the Antique and Yard Art Sale, and to continue with our quilt show at Tom’s Garden Center. These kinds of venues are where we generate interest in those not already interested.

Lately, there have been negative comments, a lack of participation in mini programs/classes and 3rd Saturdays and a bit of dissension in guild activities. These negative things can remove so much of the fun of quilting with guild quilters.

So, now let’s not think about the negative but talk to the whole about how we can make things better.

We create a beautiful thing from bits and pieces of fabric. So lets continue to create a wonderful guild from the bits and pieces of our experiences and expectations. I really love quilting with everyone in our guild, so this is why I hope we can continue to grow and expand.

I really hope...
...We can get more members,
...Raise more money for more classes,
...Do more comfort quilts for people in our towns and villages, and
...Have so much more fun sharing our love of quilting.

Lets all concentrate on keeping the guild fun, growing, generous, and active in the community, the valley and the quilting world. I sincerely hope we can continue to grow the Santiam Scrappers Quilt Guild.

I really hope we that together we can move on into a future of having even more quilting fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home